Saturday 10 June 2017

Online Shopping For Ostomy Gear

I did not have the easiest time adjusting to life after I had a stoma put in. After my ostomy was put in, I knew things were going to be different. One thing that has been a huge struggle for me was finding good places to shop for my ostomy gear and supplies. Not many people think about how hard it is to find some of these things in physical stores. Not many brick-and-mortar places carry all of the gear or supplies that I need, and this was super frustrating. I would have to go through all the trouble of going to different stores and searching through all the shelves to find the products I want. Then I would have to ask some of the store employees different questions to see if they had any ostomy gear or supplies in the back or in places I was not looking. All around, it just was not a good time and I feel sorry for anyone like me who would have to go through that embarrassing experience.


The good news is that we live in the most technologically advanced time in the history of the world. What I mean by this is that I can take full advantage of the internet when it comes to shopping for my stoma. Rather have to pack up all my emergency gear for leaving the house, change my stoma pouch, find my keys and wallet, get out to the car, and drive all the way to a Walgreens or something like that, I found that it is much easier to just chill on my soft, leather reclining chair with my laptop and browse the worldwide web for any of my ostomy or stoma related needs. I think more people need to take advantage of this really convenient way to shop for medical supplies online. I know that it can sometimes be embarrassing to go into different stores and ask people about stoma supplies; what’s even worse is that oftentimes the employees do not even know what they are talking about in some cases. This just adds to my level of frustration and makes for a terrible shopping experience when everything is said and done.


2020 was a wild year, and many people found themselves quarantined in their homes for a really extended period of time. In addition to this, the government forced the shutdown of a lot of local businesses and stores. While this was frustrating for a lot of people and destroyed business owners everywhere, it was actually pretty convenient for me and obtaining my ostomy supplies online. I was forced to sit on my butt for a long time and couldn’t go outside to get supplies, so I was able to spend a lot of time researching different ostomy products and brands to find some stuff that I really like!



Even when COVID becomes less of a problem and life returns to some kind of normalcy, I will probably never buy ostomy products in-person again. It is simply too much of a hassle to worry about and I have found a lot better ways to buy my stoma gear online. Take my advice and take care of your ostomy gear and supplies using the internet; buy stuff online, not in physical stores! I hope this article was helpful, good luck with your stoma journey!



No comments:

Post a Comment

What we need to Know About Colostomy

Surgery to make an opening or stoma from the large intestine is called a colostomy. The stoma is placed to bypass the rectum to expel waste ...