Sunday 10 June 2018

Wardrobe Changes After an Ostomy

So you just went through an ostomy? Enjoying life with your new stoma? Well, I know things can be a bit rough. I know from personal experience that getting a stoma put in is not a super fun process, but there are definitely things you can do to make things easier for yourself. When I had my stoma put in, one of my biggest concerns was what I was going to wear with an ostomy pouch hanging off of me. Obviously I spent the first few weeks after surgery in sweatpants and a hoodie as I recovered on the couch at home, but eventually I knew I was going to have to go back to work and I didn’t know what I was going to be wearing. I don’t want everyone I work with to know that I have had an ostomy! So I’ve learned a few tips and tricks when it comes to dressing with an ostomy pouch and I hope you can find some valuable information in this article that I’m writing for you.


One big tip I have for you is not to sell all of your old clothes that you are worried about not fitting; a piece of advice - it will be easier to fit into your old wardrobe when your body recovers more fully from surgery! It is likely that things are a little bit raw and bloated, which is pretty normal and understandable seeing as you had an ostomy. Unfortunately I jumped the gun a bit after my surgery and threw out a bunch of old clothes that I thought would not fit anymore due to having an ostomy pouch. However, you will find that you can actually wear most of the things you used to even with your new stoma. One of the most important things to do is keep your stoma pouch nicely wrapped and close to your body. This will make it easier to wear even more form fitting clothing and not have your big old ostomy pouch be super noticeable. 



I also recommend some sort of tighter leggings underneath if the weather is not too warm and it looks good with your outfit. This will keep things all nice and tight regarding your pouch and people will not even be able to see your ostomy pouch. I remember feeling very uncomfortable and worried about the idea of people I know noticing that I’m wearing an ostomy bag, but I have come to accept it as just another part of life. Even though it is not very noticeable at all with most of the outfits I wear, it’s still nicer to have peace of mind about the idea of people seeing it. Honestly, it makes me mad that people would make fun of others who have had an ostomy. They really just do not know what it’s like.


Another tip I have for you is to buy ostomy pouches and bags that fit your style and fit well to your body. There are specially designed pouches that are more centered around fashion than functionability, so those are always an option for a fancy night out or something like that. I hope you can find some wardrobe changes that suit you, but remember that most of your old stuff will work just fine! It’s also not the end of the world if people notice your ostomy pouch either.



No comments:

Post a Comment

What we need to Know About Colostomy

Surgery to make an opening or stoma from the large intestine is called a colostomy. The stoma is placed to bypass the rectum to expel waste ...